Saturday, July 25, 2015

Wasps and Hornets

I have never really had the pleasure of dealing with these pests before moving here. These guys can't be that bad, right? I guess I should have taken a hint when one of our first welcome to the neighborhood gifts was a wasp trap.

I thought could this really be true? Will we need to use these? They are very unattractive being bright green or bright yellow. To me, they don't seem so attractive. Then again I am not a nasty insect.

,

Nasty? Now that seems like a harsh word but I am sure they have been called worst. Our first encounter happened when the kids were playing on a plastic dog house. Yes, a plastic dog house (not my style either). The previous owners of our house left it behind and it is too small for our dog. The kids just ended up using it as their play thing to climb and jump? Well of course the wasps decided to build a nest in an unsuspecting hole that is inside the structure. How is it possible to see a nest being built? Sure enough, one of the kids got stung and this was my wake up call. 

If you hurt one of my babies, then I must in turn do something to yours. Yes, we can cohabititate together peacefully, but once you cross the line and try to attaché me for getting close to investigate, it is the dread bug spray for you. I went to the store the next day and purchased some. It can shoot about 10 feet away and boy did I need it. They do not mess around as soon as I started, they came bounding out at me. It did the trick and they left their nest. I caved then and bought a bunch of traps to put around the yard. I managed to catch quite a few, but realize there are more out there. 

This was last year and you would think we would be veterans now. I read that you should put the traps out in spring to capture the queens before they nest. I certain,y did that, but I was not successful. We had a nice spring with plenty of rain and they were not attracted to the traps. 

As summer progressed, I would search around our living areas for nests and quickly remove them. They tried to make some in the roof of our decks, on the eves of the garage, our electrical box, grill, and in our light boxes on the driveway. I thought I was being proactive enough, but again there are more of them than me. 

I was casually playing ball with my dog in the yard when the ball landed in a nest on the ground. Poor guy had no clue and was yelping because he was getting stung. Those meanies even continued to sting him as he was running to get inside the house. I had to brush one of of him before entering hoping I wouldn't get stung. Well, war was declared and out came the spray. Sorry guys but when you mess with my dog....well you are dead now. 

Poor dog got it again in another casual incident. We were on our deck and had no clue that a nest was built inside a stack of chairs. Once again, the dog was playing and casually sniffed where the nest was hidden. Instantly, we were surrounded by angry wasps who were attacking the dog. Of course we all ran as fast as we could to take cover. Once they returned to their nest, I pushed the chairs down and the nest popped out. I waited a bit to make sure I did it see any nasties and sprayed the nest. Later on I just stomped on it. 

I figured it was probably time to fill up the traps with more attractant and water. I also read that they are looking for water. This probably is another advantage because we again have not had rain in over a month. As soon as I refilled them, I instantly caught a few. As you can see it has been less than a week and I have caught tons. 

There is no way that I will ever catch them all. I know that this will not be the last time that my kids, dog or I will ever be stung. I am grateful that they do not have an allergic reaction as my relations do. 

I am amazed at how many there are and even more amazed that scientist have created a way to get rid of them. So, I will sit back and watch the traps fill up. I smile as I pass them saying to myself, "This will be one least nasty bugger who will not get me!"

On a side note:
J became a victim of her own "valuable life lesson". She thought she was grabbing for a white pine cone in a conifer tree and as you can imagine it wasn't. Her first sting and she was very upset. I felt bad, but had to chuckle a bit. I explained that there are no white pine cones and that those particular tree did not even produce pine cones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment